In the 17th century, during the Thirty Years’ War, the Croatian light cavalry, renowned for its exceptional heroism, joined the ranks of the French Army. Military skills and the original appearance of the Croatian soldiers were affirmed in 1664 with the founding of the Croatian regiment “the Royal Cravates” within the French Army. A special feature of their uniforms was a red scarf – a tie that girls used to tie around young men’s necks before going to war.
Tie, the essential fashion accessory of every man originates from those brave Croatian soldiers. The reinstated ceremony of the Changing of the Guard, based on the historical evidence, can be seen in predetermined attractive tourist locations – from St. Mark’s Square, Ban Jelačić Square to the statue of the Virgin Mary at Kaptol.
The program is done by 13 to 20 infantrymen and 4 to 21 cavalrymen.