It was named after the bishopric ponds that existed here until the 19th century.
Ribnjak is the park stretching along the east walls of Kaptol. It was named after the bishopric ponds that existed here until the 19th century. Then the whole area was transformed into an English type garden, with waterfalls, exotic plants and decorative statues. It was bishop Alagović who, in 1829, initiated the arrangement of the park. Ribnjak was to become the park of sculptures as well but the idea was never fully realized. At the moment it has only two monuments, Shame by Antun Augustinčić, and the monument to Croatian poet Ivan Goran Kovačić. Today, the park covers the area of almost 40 000 square meters and has thirty year old yew, old plant of Atlas cedar-tree, many magnolia trees and liquidambars. The street along the east side of the park Ribnjak bears the same name.