The Church of St. Blaise
The church was designed by Viktor Kovačić.
Constructed on the groundplan scheme of the Greek cross, with strong volume gradation and dominant reinforced concrete dome, the church is the most significant sacral building of modern age in Croatia.
Standing at the intersection of Deželićeva and Primorska is a Church dedicated to St Blaise, a 4th century martyr famous for his gift of curing throat illnesses.
Begun in 1912, the church was designed by Viktor Kovačić and combines Byzantine influences, traditional Croatian styles and modern construction techniques to monumental effect. The reinforced concrete dome was the first of its kind in Croatia.
An exceptionally beautiful Nativity scene, the work of sculptor Vojta Braniša from 1916, is exhibited every year around Christmas.