The Church of St. Katharine
St. catherine's Church is the most beautiful baroque church in Zagreb.
It was built by the Jesuits between 1620 and 1632. It is a one - nave church with six side chapels and a shrine. The chapels have five wooden baroque altars (the 17th century) and one marble altar from 1729. the arched ceiling and the walls are characterized by luxurious stucco from 1732.
The shrine contains a low main altar, which is located in front of the large illusionist composition "St. Catherine among the Philosophers of alexandria", painted by Kristofor Andrija Jelovšek from Ljubljana, Slovenia.
The church was thoroughly reconstructed after the 1880 earthquake, based on the design of Hermann Bolle.