The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
This late historicist church was built in 1902.
It was designed by Zagreb architect Janko Holjac and it makes a perfect example of neo-baroque sacral architecture. It was built owing to the influence and a donation of 60,000 forints by Bishop Juraj Haulik. In addition to this second biggest church in Zagreb (after the cathedral), a monastery was also built. The basilica is located in Lower Town's central part. Since no zoning on micro-level has been performed, the overall impression of the building is somewhat impaired. Its broad nave is covered with a barel-like valut and is illuminated through high side-cahapels. Its plastic classicist-baroque decoration is in harmony with the modern spatial concept characterized by spaciousness and illumination. The church's front is highlighted with square belltowers which, in their upper part, become octagonal and are covered with domes. Domestic masters furnished the church and the main altar was designed by Hermann Bollé. In 1941, Pope Pius XII granted the church the honorary title of basilica minor.